There is a fire close to Native Rock Road which is forms portion of Stage 2 of the Trail. However, as there is a strong suggestion that users use the Railton Road due to a conflict with a land owner over access along the Trail, users should not be effected by the fire. Users should continue to watch this page in case the fire expands.
A very large tree is blocking Bony Road south of Geeveston (Stage 16). It has been inspected and it condition is such that it will be difficult to remove and dangerous to try and pass. Until the route is cleared user should take the alternative route shown in yellow on the map found here.
Addtional information for use of the Bush Park Showgrounds (Page 56 of the guidebook).
Please notify John NO LATER than midday on the day you are coming and inform him of time you will arrive. Arrival should be NO LATER than 6pm.
If arriving after 6pm inform John that you are arriving and arrange a time to see him the next morning. Contact should be made on 03 6286 1372, not the mobile number.
See the update dated 29.3.18 about the closure of part of Stage 2 of the Trail. It would appear that the matter has been resolved but fencing needs to be undertaken to define the line of the Trail. This fencing is expected to be constructed late January and a further update will be posted here when the Trail is again open.
The Cluan Tier (see Stage 5, page 31) has been closed due to a land owner locking gates. An alternative route though Liffey is suggested on the map that can be downloaded here.
Bush fire update -
The sections of the Trail off the Marlbough Main Road are still closed. Trekkers should follow the main road from Miena to Bronte Park.
The most southern section, Geeveston to Dover, is still under review with at least two areas known to still have dangerous trees close to the Trail.
Extreme Caution Needed Please
Forestry operations are being carried out on Lanes Tier (see map). The Trail passes along Lanes Tier (2.9 to 12.4, page 48 of the Guidebook) and Trail users should take care. The road will be impacted by log trucks using the route to take out timber southward along the Trail. Warning signs will be erected both ends of the track/road and Trail users should stop and let vehicles pass. There are a few places where the road is steep and windy and trucks will require the full width of the road and may not be able to stop quickly. The vehicular traffic will continue for about 8 months and further advice will be posted here when logging has been completed.
Please note, the map has been copied from page 86 of the Guidebook.
Native Plains Road (See 29.3.18)
After 16 months of considerable effort a successful meeting was held today between the farmer, Parks personnel and Trail representatives with a solution agreed. However, formalities need to be processed which may take a month or so. The first of these will be a land survey to ascertain the exact boundaries of the reserved road. This has already been commissioned by Parks.
Contractors are logging on Bermuda Road south of Judbury. Stop and ensure you presence is known before proceeding.
Camping at Bracknell
The local Council has decided that only self-contained vehicles can overnight on the riverside reserve at Bracknell (Page 33 of the guidebook, point 36.5, refers). The only accomodfation for Trail users in the area is behing the Hotel by arragement.or at the Old School House at Liffey..
Mersey River Crossing
A report has been received that the Mersey River crossing at the beginning of Stage 4 is very difficult to negotiate due to a deep channel on its eastern side. Until this is confirmed and an alternative crossing place found it is recommended that the alternative flood route described on page 24 of the guidebook be used..
The Trail between Latrobe and Railton has been closed due to a dispute with a land owner. Users should take the Railton Road as shown in Map 2 in the guidebook.This matter may take some time to resolve as it may involve legal action.